Laptops and computers usually come in different sizes. An individual must be aware of the monitor size of their computer. Also, learning how to measure the size of a monitor will help you greatly in selecting the right monitor.
The size of a monitor can be determined in several ways. You may choose a method based on what you are looking forward to. These methods can measure your screen’s size, aspect ratio, or diagonal.
Let us tell you, and all the approaches are pretty simple to follow. You need to use a ruler, measuring tape, or employ simple math. Browse through the article below to gather the information you require!
How to measure the size of your monitor?
The following methods can be used to determine the size of your monitor. Several simple steps are listed below to help you measure your monitor’s screen area, aspect ratio, and diagonal measurement.
Determine Display Areas
- Initially, Take a ruler and measure the screen length. You can do it conveniently by placing the ruler on your screen and taking down the readings. While doing this make sure not to include the casing or frame around your computer, this will likely result in incorrect readings.
- Now, Take a ruler and measure the heights of your screen vertically. Make sure not to include the structure around your computer, just measure the viewable screen.
- After you have managed to correctly measure the length and height of your screen, you need to multiply both the values. In other words, multiplying the height and length will result in 144 if the height is 16” and the length is 9”. Thus, the monitor’s image area is 144 square inches.
Find Out Aspect Ratio
An aspect ratio is the ratio of the screen’s height to its length. Typically, computers are made with the aspect ratio of 16:9, 21:9, and 4:3. You can effortlessly determine the aspect ratio of your monitor by following the step-by-step guide given below.
- You simply need to measure the vertical height from top to the bottom of your computer’s screen by making use of a ruler or measuring tape. Make sure not to include the structure around your monitor in order to ensure correct measurement.
- Next, by utilising a ruler or measuring tape measure the length of your monitor and note it down.
- Lastly, simply make ratios for the height and length. For instance if the length is calculated to be 16’’ and the height is 10’’ the aspect ratio of your monitor is 16:10. You can reduce by cancelling out both these values in case you wish to do so.
Measure Diagonal Area
To measure the size of a monitor, people usually measure its screen diagonal. You can follow several easy steps to figure out how big your screen is diagonal.
- Diagonal refers to the distance from one corner to another opposite corner. Hence, you need to measure the distance from the top-left corner of your screen to the bottom-right corner or vice-versa.
- Make sure you do not include the structure around your monitor while measuring the diagonal or else it will result in incorrect measurements.
- In case your screen is too huge to be measured by a measuring tape you can make use of pythagoras theorem to determine the diagonal.
- For that, all you need to do is square the measured height and length respectively. Then, add up both the squared values and calculate the square root of their sum.
You can quickly determine the size of your monitor by physically measuring the screen by using a ruler or measuring tape. Grab a measuring tape and start measuring the distance from the top-right corner of your screen to the bottom-left corner. Make sure not to include the borders of your monitor in order to ensure correct readings.
One ingenious technology of today’s world is curved screen monitors. However, people usually find it difficult to measure the size of curved monitors. Hence, we are here to ease your troubles! You can measure the size of your curved monitor by these steps mentioned below!
- Surprisingly, you can find the size of your curved monitor just like you measure the size of a regular screen.
- You simply need to measure the diagonal or you can make use of the pythagoras theorem in order to determine the monitor size of a curved screen.
Whatever procedure you employ to find the monitor size, you just need to keep the following pointers in your mind.
- Never include the casing or bezel around your monitor when measuring the screen size by measuring tape or ruler. In case you include the casing or structure around the monitor you will end up with incorrect readings.
- Screen size refers to the diagonal difference between the top-right corner to the bottom-left corner or vice-versa.
- There are 3 different parameters that you can measure when you consider a monitor’s size. They are aspect ratio, Image area and diagonal of your monitor.
- To measure either of the above mentioned parameters it is mandatory for you to equip yourself with a ruler or a measuring tape.
- In case you are unable to physically measure the diagonal of your screen you can always employ pythagoras theorem and you will be able to calculate the diagonal in no time.